AITS offers additional Server Support and Workstation Support to University organizations for a fee.
Both of these services are offered through a standard Service Level Agreement (SLA) that outlines service levels and responsibilities. For pricing information, please see the standard service pricing page. The SLA and related pricing may be customized to fit the unique needs of your organization.
For further information or to request any service, please contact the AITS Service Desk. A service representative will contact you to discuss your needs.
The full set of services that AITS performs for the University is documented in the Service Catalog. This catalog was created to provide a more complete view of AITS work provided as part of normal operations. Most of the services documented in the catalog support the University of Illinois enterprise as a whole. As such, not all of the services in the service catalog are available for separate purchase by departments.
- Application Administration: AITS provides hosting, maintenance, application upgrades, 24 x 7 monitoring, and support services to University of Illinois. This service follows industry best practices for the support and maintenance of complex, multi-tiered enterprise applications.
- Application Development: AITS develops and maintains applications and application integrations for University of Illinois administrative units, colleges, and departments. The service provides consulting and application development services that leverage best practices as well as a defined software development life cycle (SDLC) methodology. This service is requested through the Information Technology Priorities Committee (ITPC). For more information, please see the ITPC Project Submissions page on the ITPC website.
- Application & Website Testing: AITS provides a variety of web application testing services for University of Illinois units, colleges and departments. This service provides application function and business rule testing, performance testing, volume and load testing, web application security testing, accessibility testing and messaging infrastructure testing.
- Decision Support: DS supports the University by managing the data warehouse, providing data access, supporting staff report development and providing data education and training.
- Distributed Hosting: AITS offers reliable, monitored, secure, and managed hosting solutions for University applications. This distributed hosting service includes multiple, redundant, and diverse high-speed Internet connections, security systems and procedures, cooling and environmental systems, and redundant power at our production datacenter.
- Document Management: The Document Management service provides document and image management storage, retrieval, 24 x 7 monitoring, and support services to University of Illinois clients.
- Email and Calendaring: AITS provides an enterprise scale email messaging and calendaring service that is highly available, feature rich, and cost effective to use. It includes a central address book, web email access, distribution list management, and PDA/mobile device wireless synchronization. This service is provided to departmental subscribers of the Workstation Support service.
- Enterprise Application Integration (EAI): AITS provides and maintains an EAI structure which provides linkages between existing applications and data. This structure allows for integrations without requiring sweeping changes to existing applications or data structures.
- Enterprise Batch Scheduling: AITS offers automatic and manual execution for all administrative batch processes, with event-driven process scheduling, a testing environment, and email notifications.
- Service Desk Management: The AITS Service Desk provides users with an informed single point of contact for all of their IT requirements. It provides active monitoring and ownership of incidents and user questions, escalates urgent issues, and communicates with other IT support services as necessary on behalf of the clients.
- Source Code Version Control: AITS manages a versioning system for its own source code and offers this as a service to the University community upon request.
- Web Content Management System (WCMS): Web Content Management System (WCMS) is used to manage and control a large, dynamic collection of Web material (HTML documents and their associated images). This system facilitates content creation, content control, editing, and many essential Web maintenance functions through a user friendly interface. The software provides authoring (and other) tools designed to allow users with little or no knowledge of programming or markup languages to create and manage content with relative ease of use.
- Business Process Improvement Shared Services: The University of Illinois Business Process Improvement (BPI) Shared Service can guide you through a process improvement project. This service is also available for ongoing assessment and guidance after a new process is implemented. The University of Illinois process improvement service builds on successful models at other higher education institutions as well as the Six Sigma DMAIC methodology. For more information on this Shared Service, please see the BPI Shared Service web page or the BPI Service Description
- Change Management Service: AITS uses a mature change management processes to ensure the efficient and prompt handling of all changes to controlled IT infrastructure and to minimize the number and impact of any related incidents to service.
- Database Services: AITS provides hosting and operational support for Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server databases. We ensure that customer databases are protected through our backup and recovery procedures, provide a secure database environment, and have tools for database performance monitoring if needed. We require that clients remain on supported versions of the database software and perform upgrades regularly.
- IT Portfolio Management: AITS provides portfolio management in support of the Information Technology Priorities Committee and for AITS-led projects. This includes portfolio management as well as expert advice, formal education, extensive documentation, and personal instruction on the underlying theories and concepts of project and portfolio management and the use of the supporting software tool to assist in the management of IT investments over their life cycle.
- Release Management: AITS uses a mature release management process to plan the rollout of software, design and implement procedures for changes to IT systems, communicate with the university community, and control the distribution and installation of changes to IT systems. AITS provides this service to the University of Illinois, but offers this process to the university departments upon request.
- Risk Management and Business Continuity Planning: AITS provides information technology risk management, planning for operations/continuity of university business, and audits/assessments as they relate to information technology for the University of Illinois.
Network and Desktop Services
- Backup Management: This service provides backups of the servers supported by AITS. Through the use of advanced technology, this service provides scalable, reliable, and fault tolerant solutions for managing backup data for client systems and applications and allowing them to restore data when needed. AITS performs incremental daily backups and full weekly backups of data to an offsite location, ensuring that data can be restored when needed.
- Collocation Services: AITS operates two enterprise quality data centers in Chicago and Urbana, providing high-quality collocation services.
- Desktop Support: AITS can help provide a consistent and reliable client-computing environment to your staff. This service includes technical support, on-site break/fix and replacement, remote updates, and license tracking. This service is provided to departmental subscribers of the Workstation Support service.
- Storage Management: AITS provides scalable, reliable, and fault tolerant storage solutions aimed at providing the highest availability to end users.
- System Monitoring, Alerting and Availability: The System Monitoring , Alerting and Availability Service provides a 24x7 watchful eye on critical business services as well as the means to provide real time alerting capabilities in the event a system becomes unavailable. AITS has an assortment of system, network and application monitoring tools to provide a customized monitoring solution to meet the needs for the business requirements.
Security and Access Services
- Authentication and Authorization Services: This service provides single sign-on authentication, authorization, and session management for many of the web applications and other systems. It allows applications to authenticate and authorize users in a consistent fashion and without maintaining application specific repositories for this purpose. Authentication and authorization work and project requests may be submitted to Information Technology Priorities Committee (ITPC). For more information, please see the ITPC Project Submissions page on the ITPC website.
- Directory Services: AITS hosts and manages both Active Directory and Enterprise Directory (LDAP) for authentication and authorization services.
- Firewall Service: The Firewall Service is a managed solution for the University of Illinois offices utilizing both IP networking and standards-based technology as the foundation for secure, high performance, data communications.
- Information Security Consulting and Support: Information Security Consulting and Support services are offered to help University departments safeguard University of Illinois data and meet the requirements of the University’s security policies and other legal and regulatory requirements.
- Remote Access and VPN: AITS offers Remote Access and VPN enabling customers to create an encrypted tunnel with an endpoint on a University of Illinois trusted network. This service also allows access to desktops/PCs from remote locations as well as online conferencing.
For further information or to request a service, contact the AITS Service Desk
A service representative will contact you to discuss your needs.