The Remote Access and VPN service option is an IP-based offering enabling customers to create an encrypted tunnel with an endpoint on a University Administration (UA) trusted network. Traffic from the client traverses the encrypted tunnel to a trusted network segment to securely utilize and administer UA services from non-UA locations.
A UI domain account or an account from a trusted domain is required since the service is authenticated by a Microsoft Active Directory. The VPN and Dial-Up service enables support of remote access communication via any standards based PPTP client or dial-up connection. VPN and Dial-Up service is a solution for UA customers interested in utilizing standards based encryption technology or Dial-Up connections as the foundation for secure data communications.
Service implementation and support includes:
- Consultation regarding service options and configurations
- All required activities to complete service installation
- A managed service that includes:
- 24/7 centralized monitoring and management via AITS COE Windows Support and the AITS Service Desk
- Redundant VPN and Dial-Up service provided by AITSRAS1 and AITSRAS2 housed in geographically diverse data centers
- Service options include:
- Configuration of the Windows native VPN client (PPTP)
Hours of Availability
This service is available to customers 24/7, excluding planned outages, maintenance windows and unavoidable events. Maintenance windows are used only when needed for planned changes that have gone through the AITS Change Control Process. In addition to the standard AITS maintenance windows, site-specific and service-specific changes may be coordinated with customers at non-standard times.
Standard maintenance windows are defined as:
- 6 a.m. to 12 p.m. each Sunday when application usage is at its lowest
- After 5 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday, unless business needs to make a change during business hours
- The second Wednesday of the month from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. for patching Microsoft servers
- 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. three Sundays a year for routine Windows and Linux maintenance
How Do We Charge?
This service is offered as part of the Workstation Support set of services and the Server Support set of services. Pricing and the base Service Level Agreement for these two sets of services are available.
Major Cost Drivers:
- Maintenance and support of data center VPN server and equipment
- Cost of T1/PRI adapter and PRI lines for dial-up access
- Indirect cost of the underlying TCP/IP network (router, DNS, switch ports, firewall, address space)