FormBuilder is an enterprise service available to University of
Illinois departments for creating forms to collect and process
information. FormBuilder's high level functionality includes Event Registration, Online Credit Card Payment, and lightweight Workflow functionality with routing, approvals and email notification. Originally designed and built by ATLAS at UIUC, the
application is now jointly supported, maintained, and enhanced by
AITS and ATLAS as an enterprise system.
FormBuilder can be used to create online registration and payment
processing components for workshops, camps, conferences, and other types
of events. FormBuilder can also be used for lightweight workflow processing to automate paper business processes that require approval forms, routing, automatic notification, and back end reporting. Forms support user-defined fields, triggers, rules, decision
points based on prior input, and can be integrated with IPay for
payment processing. Events can be set up with capacity limits, wait lists, generated participant emails, and rosters.
Forms can be customized to have the same look and
feel as department web sites and can be set up and managed
independently by department staff.
Departments designate a resource
to work with AITS for FormBuilder training and coordination in using the
system for setting up forms and events.
- Approval and Routing
- Event registration forms and Workflow forms can be
configured to require review and approval by university staff as part of
the registration process. Thresholds and triggers can be set up to
fire based upon data or selections.
- Administrators use EAS
authentication to manage events while users can use Active Directory,
EAS, or their OpenID credentials such as Yahoo and Google ids to
authenticate. Users can also create a new id or the registration process
can be open without authentication being required.
- Notification Emails
emails can be automatically sent to registrants after they complete the
registration process as a receipt for their records. Notification emails can also be
used as notification of pending tasks to approvers or reviewers, or confirmation of completed tasks if
included in the registration or workflow process.
- Custom Design
- Style sheets and web components from
department websites can be used to create templates within
FormBuilder. Templates can be applied to any of the
department's forms within the application to provide a consistent look
and feel between department websites and the registration system.
- Unit/Form Group Administrators
- Each department
will have one or more Unit or Form Group
Administrators with access to the administrative side of FormBuilder to allow them to monitor transactional
data and run reports. Administrators will also have the ability to edit and make changes to existing forms as well as develop new forms and associated form objects.
- Fees for events can be charged and
credited to university accounts via IPay integration. Credit card
payments are processed automatically; check payments can be enabled but
require manual payment processing from the Unit or
Form Group Administrators. Payment line items can
be established with a default department C-FOAPAL or customized
to utilize separate C-FOAPALS for each line item.
- Administrators have access
to the Reporting Console to run reports and export
data to a .csv file or an Excel file. A default report
including every data element is automatically created with
each form that is built. Administrators can create custom reports specifying which data elements
to include, order and name the selected field columns, and establish sort order.
- Session Management
- Establish registration limits
and wait lists for events. Multiple sessions for an event can be set; as
sessions fill, sessions automatically close for registration or people
can be added to a wait list.
- Self Service Development
- Allows Administrators the ability and tools to build, edit, and duplicate any event registration or workflow form and accompanying reports and views.
The FormBuilder Steering Team makes decisions regarding product direction such as release content, release timing, defect and enhancement priorities, and general product policies. The team consists of active users of the FormBuilder system. Membership of the steering team changes over time. Use of the FormBuilder system does not automatically provide membership on the steering team. An existing representative of the steering team may be assigned to represent the needs of a new department.
Members of the steering team:
Committee Members (Voting)
Committee Members (Non-Voting)
- Rod Hoewing, Office of the Registrar
- Deb Kimme, LAS Alumni & Events
- Craig Jackson, College of LAS
- Ryan Thomas, College of Education
- Brian Walsh, DIA
- Ornit Weiss, College of LAS
- Elaine Wolff, Online & Continuing Education
- Marla McKinney, AITS
- Adam LeGrande, UA
- Michelle Rome, ATLAS
- Tim Sandholm, ATLAS
- Michelle Unser, AITS
- Tanya Smith Wood, AITS
- FormBuilder is hosted by AITS and is jointly supported, maintained, and enhanced by AITS and ATLAS as an enterprise system.
- The system is available 24 hours a day, subject to the maintenance windows established for all AITS enterprise systems.
- The AITS Service Desk provides 24 hour help desk support for FormBuilder.
- On-call staff are available for after-hours support, as required, for emergencies and scheduled work.
- Identify a primary point of contact to work with AITS in coordinating the activities being performed by the service.
- All new work can be initiated through the Work Request or ITPC process, through submitting the form above in the "Getting Started" section, or by contacting the FormBuilder team directly at email@example.com.
- Support requests relating to the use of the service will be initiated by opening an incident or request ticket with the AITS Service Desk.
- It is the responsibility of each department's appointed FormBuilder administrators to provide support for their individual events.
- Beyond initial engagement, form development for the unit is the responsibility of the unit's FormBuilder administrators.
How Do We Charge?
- AITS currently does not charge for this service.
- However, if continued form development work beyond initial engagement is required by the unit, a service level agreement will be created with the unit.