The Document Management service provides document and image management storage, retrieval, 24/7 monitoring, and support services to University of Illinois clients. It applies best practices within the industry to support and maintain electronic artifacts as they relate to the Banner ERP and other University Administrative tasks.
Sample services provided to our customers:
- Automated integration of images to Banner ERP transactions
- Secure digital storage of artifacts
- Advanced image markup, redaction and retrieval
- Integration of digital assets based on security and access needs
- Integration with scanner, facsimile and character recognition software
- Version Control and document retention
- Advanced retrieval and indexing processes
- Support for external system (Human Resources Front End) and related digital assets
- 24/7 monitoring and surveillance of storage services to provide highly available systems
- 24/7 service desk to provide continuous customer care services.
Digital documents and images are maintained and monitored regularly to ensure a high degree of data security and keep all digital collections accessible to customers.
Critical updates and maintenance is performed on Sundays from 6 a.m. to 12 p.m. to ensure minimal downtime.
The Document Management team has extensive experience with a wide variety of capture devices, software technologies, tools and platforms.
Benefits of using the Document Management service include:
- Services can be provided to University customers for almost any imaginable document (electronic or hardcopy)
- Cost avoidance for customers who do not have full-time resources to support document and/or content management
- No need for customers to acquire, maintain or support internal document management solutions or digital artifact infrastructure
- Provides solutions that comply with industry, security and accessibility standards and policies
- 24/7 customer support and availability
- All images stored in ‘Xtender' are securely maintained and archived in case of disaster
Hours of Availability
This service is available to customers 24/7, excluding planned outages, maintenance windows and unavoidable events. Maintenance windows are used only when needed for planned changes that have been submitted through the AITS Change Control Process. In addition to the standard AITS maintenance windows, site-specific and service-specific changes may be coordinated with customers at non-standard times. Since Document Management (Xtender) connects to Banner, a 24/7 production critical system, the tool is available whenever Banner is available.
Document Management (Xtender) maintenance windows are defined as:
Maintenance requiring system downtime or outages are performed when application usage is at its lowest. Normal downtime is 6 a.m. to 12 p.m. each Sunday and occasionally from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. when maintenance activities necessitate a longer outage.
Maintenance which does not require system downtime or outage are performed, after normal business hours, starting at 5 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday, as needed unless business teams require maintenance during business hours.
Document Management (Xtender) is an after capture utility and only manages objects that which have been previously acquired, digitized, and indexed into the repository. The end user is solely responsible for determining the authoritativeness of the objects stored within the document management system. Units should contact their Unit head, Records Liaison or the Records and Information Management Services <RIMSgroup@uillinois.edu> team to obtain guidance for data retention and disposition of electronic objects and physical originals.
- The end user is solely responsible for Image capture. Document Management (Xtender) only manages what’s been previously captured, attached and indexed.
- Identify a primary contact to work with AITS in coordinating activities performed by the service.
- All new work should be initiated through the ITPC process.
- Support requests relating to the use of the service are initiated by opening an incident or request ticket with the AITS Service Desk.
- The end user along with the Unit head and in coordination with the Unit’s Records Liaison, is solely responsible for the authoritative and trustworthiness of objects submitted to the Document Management (Xtender) tool.
How Do We Charge?
AITS currently does not charge for this service, however, a cost-recovery model is being considered to recover costs for storage space and concurrent user licenses.