This set of professional services are for the development, maintenance, and enhancement of web applications, batch applications, and application integration services at the University of Illinois System level, university level, colleges and departments. The service provides consulting and application development services that leverage best practices as well as a defined software development life cycle (SDLC) methodology for building and maintaining web applications, batch applications, and integrations.
The following is a sampling of the types of services that can be provided to customers of this service:
- Consulting for defining and developing web-centric business and technology strategies;
- Web and batch application planning, design, development, testing, implementation, and maintenance services;
- User interface design for web-based software applications;
- Usability analysis, testing and recommendations;
- Managed hosting for customer applications including end-to-end services for designating, developing, testing, maintaining, supporting, and hosting customers' web applications;
Application hosting is provided by AITS in a reliable, monitored, secure, and managed fashion that includes the flexibility and performance of a distributed computing solution.
The Application Development team has extensive experience with a wide variety of application software technologies, tools and platforms including but not limited to the following:
- Lotus Domino
- Banner customizations
- Creative web content design and graphics
- Database technologies including Oracle, SQL Server. Operating systems including Linux, Unix, and Windows
Benefits of using the Application Development service include:
- Services can be provided to university customers on-demand through ITPC project requests
- Cost avoidance for customers who do not have to maintain and provide their own in-house resources and skills for performing this type of technical work on a full-time basis when a full-time resource is not required
- No need for customers to acquire, maintain or support their own in-house Web server(s) or platform infrastructure
- Professional quality graphics and multimedia design for websites and applications
- User experience needs are assessed with custom developed applications
- Solutions that comply with the university architecture, security standards/policies, and accessibility policies and statutes
- Custom developed applications are sent through independent quality assurance testing to verify correctness of applications to specifications
- Performance testing and periodic independent vulnerability scans and audits, and remediation by Application Development
- 24/7 support for customer applications
Hours of Availability
This service is available to customers during normal business hours.
- Identify a primary point of contact to work with AITS in coordinating the activities being performed by the service.
- Submit project requirements to the Application Development team through the ITPC process in order to facilitate the appropriate scoping, design, development, testing, and implementation activities.
- Support requests relating to the use of the service will be initiated by opening an incident or request ticket with the AITS Service Desk.
How Do We Charge?
This service is offered through the Work Request and ITPC Project request processes. For more information on requesting work or submitting a project, please see the ITPC Project Submissions page on the ITPC website.